Statement of Client’s Rights
- You are entitled to be treated with courtesy and consideration at all times by your lawyer and the other lawyers and personnel in your lawyer’s office.
- You are entitled to your lawyer’s independent professional judgment and undivided loyalty free from conflicts of interest.
- You are entitled to an attorney capable of handling your legal matter competently and diligently in accordance with the highest standards of the profession and Oregon State Bar. If you are unhappy with the way your matter is being handled, you have the right to withdraw from the attorney/client relationship at any time although court approval is needed in some occasions and your attorney may have a claim against you for the reasonable value of their services rendered up to the point of discharge.
- You are entitled to have your questions and concerns addressed in a prompt manner and to have your telephone calls returned in a reasonable period of time.
- You are entitled to be kept informed as to the status of your matter and to request and receive copies of papers.
- You are entitled to have your legitimate objectives respected by your attorney, including whether or not you wish to settle your matter. Sometimes court approval of a settlement is required.
- You have a right to privacy in your dealings with your lawyer and to have your secrets and confidences preserved to the extent permitted by law.
- You are entitled to have your attorney conduct himself or herself in accordance with the professional responsibility rules and regulations applicable in your jurisdiction.